Canisius has resumed normal operations, to the extent possible, in accordance with guidelines provided by state leadership. We have implemented a plan to make on-campus learning as safe as possible. The health and well-being of our school community is our highest priority.
View letters to parents and additional resources below.
COVID-19/novel coronavirus is a rapidly evolving situation, with frequent new developments and guidance. This page will be updated regularly. Please check back again for the latest information.
Canisius High School’s Response to COVID-19/coronavirus:
Our top priority is to ensure the well-being of our students, faculty, administration and staff. This website is intended to update community members on our status, report safety enhancing initiatives, and provide resources for our community’s use.
Canisius Health Office: Ms. Denise Keating, RN is our school nurse. She is in ongoing dialogue with the Erie County Department of Public Health. We also receive regular recommendations for schools from the New York State Department of Health, and updates from the New York State Department of Education and the New York State Association of Independent Schools.
To contact our nurse, please call 716.882.0466
At this time, as with all viruses, common sense should prevail:
- wash your hands regularly, using hand sanitizer when water and soap are unavailable
- do not touch your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth
- practice proper etiquette when coughing or sneezing
- avoid close contact with ill persons
- stay at home if you are ill
- wear a mask covering your nose and mouth when in public and physical distancing is not possible
Please explore the following resources for additional, up-to-date information:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The New York State Department of Health
- The Erie County Department of Health
- Mental Health Resources
Parents and guardians can find helpful tips and perspective for talking with their children about coronavirus, see this article.